Recipe of the Week
October 8, 2018
Fabulous Green Bean Salad from Cooking Light
This dish is loaded with powerful phytonutrients and good fats.
Sweet Potato recipe
July 24, 2017
Try this recipe with 1/2 the amount of butter or ghee and maple syrup. You will still be pleased with the final product.
Always consider reducing the sugar content of any recipe and assess the taste. Many dishes have unnecessary amounts of sugar and fat in them. Give this a twirl.
July 10, 2017
Keep it simple
Using Organic strawberries, cut away the stem and feed it to your Coco (dog). Slice flesh in half and place in a bowl. Melt 70% or greater dark chocolate in a sauce pan. Lightly drizzle with the sharp end of a knife dipped in chocolate to leave a thin line on the berries. Less is more here as the chocolate is an accent and not used to overpower the berry flavor. Delicately salt for a sweet salt contrast and serve.
April 3, 2017
Have your kids cook with you often. Here is a great breakfast recipe.
Ingredients: all organic if possible
Hard organic corn taco shells
Chicken or Duck(my favorite) eggs
Chorizo sausage - I get mine from Lee at Wild Turkey Farms
Sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
Shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
Avocado - cubed in 0.5 cm sizes
Salsa of choice
Stuffed Red Bell Pepper
January 30, 2017
Stuffed Red Bell Pepper
This is a power packed meal with all three macronutrients and tons of micronutrients for good health.
I made this tonight. Delicious
Large red bell pepper
Protein of your choice - i like sausage or chicken
Just Mayo's Pea Protein based Mayo- Recipe Ideas
December 5, 2016
For folks that cannot tolerate eggs anymore as an intolerance or an allergy but like mayonnaise, there is a pea protein based mayo that is excellent by Just Mayo.
I frequently mix spices with it in order to make a remoulade that I dip my proteins in like sausage or fish.
The Savory Spice Shop has a delicious BBQ rub called Team Sweet Mama's KC style that makes a great remoulade. Using pre-made spice blends may be a little more expensive but offers a rapid and tasty way to improve the flavor of many dishes.
An added benefit is that spices offer many health benefits including protecting against inflammation and hyperglycemia.
Simple & Travel-worthy Trout Dish
October 10, 2016
Simple and travel worthy
Trader Joe's Smoked Trout - 2 cans - drained
2 sprigs of fresh dill - chopped
1 teaspoon fresh parsley - chopped
6 grape tomatoes - halved
1/2 shallot - chopped
1 sundried tomato - chopped
Slippery Elm Lozenges
September 26, 2016
A Kid's Herb Book (2000) by Lesley Tierra
Slippery Elm Lozenges:
Put ½ cup slippery elm powder in a bowl and make a well in the center. Pour ¼ c water (or licorice tea) into the hole and gently mix into the slippery elm powder to make smooth dough. Sprinkle some slippery elm powder on a clean flat surface and roll out the dough into ¼ inch thickness.
Turkish Egg Dish (Menemen)
Try this Turkish egg dish from Food 52.
• 2tablespoons olive oil
• 1tablespoon butter
• 1small white onion, diced
• 3green, mild Turkish peppers, seeded and chopped (or substitute 1 red bell pepper and 1/2 green bell pepper)
• 1/2teaspoon good-quality red pepper flakes, ideally a medium-spicy Turkish or Aleppo variety
• 1clove garlic, minced
• 4large tomatoes, chopped
• 5eggs, room temperature
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Parsley, chopped
• Turkish simit or other crusty bread
• Optional: fried sujuk (garlic sausage) and beyaz peynir (brined Turkish cheese similar to feta), to sprinkle on top
1. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter.
2. Once the butter has melted into the oil, add the onion and peppers, a pinch of salt ,and the red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for around 5 minutes or until both onions and peppers have softened and smell fragrant.
August 22, 2016
Adapted from Tom Colicchio's Meatloaf
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 Chopped carrots
3 shallots diced
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 lbs. local grassfed ground beef or bison(85% lean)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs [use gluten-free bread to make this a GF meal too]
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. Trader joe's Dijon mustard
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. organic ketchup or better yet try Trader Joe's Kansas City Barbecue sauce
Crunchy Celery, Radish, & Turnip Salad
Courtesy of Kukla on www.Food52.com
Serves 4 to 6
• 1/2 head celery (about 6-7 stalks), peeled and thinly sliced, leaves picked and reserved
• 1 bunch radishes, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
• 1 bunch young turnips, ends trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
• 5 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup fresh flat leave parsley, chopped
For the sauce:
• 3 tablespoons Gorgonzola Dolce blue cheese, room temperature
• 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup sour cream
1 Cup plus 2 Tbsp of gluten free rolled oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp of each - allspice, ginger and nutmeg
1/2 tsp of salt and baking soda
2/3 Cup of pumpkin puree
Coconut kefir (by Cultures for Health)
• Activated Milk Kefir Grains
• Coconut Milk
1. To make coconut milk kefir, place the milk kefir grains in coconut milk.
2. Stir with a non-metal spoon.
One large romaine lettuce leaf - washed and dried
One Avocado cored and cubed
One half red pepper cored and diced
Fresh dill - chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
Thyme Tea recipe:
1 tsp of dried thyme (the herb), 6 oz boiling water, then add 1 tsp honey and a pinch of cinnamon. Drink 2-3 times a day for colds and cough.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
April 18, 2016
Roasted Cauliflower Soup (from Food 52 by the Wimpy Vegetarian)
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
1 head cauliflower, sliced, including the core
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 leek, light green parts only, diced
1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chicken broth
2 1/2 - 3 cups water
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the slices of cauliflower on a dry cookie sheet and roast until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
2. In a large heavy pot, heat the butter and oil until hot. Saute the onion, leek, garlic, and celery in the butter oil mixture until soft and very aromatic. Add the salt. Add the roasted cauliflower and toss with a large spoon until the cauliflower is completely covered with the onion mixture. Cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Puree in a blender until fairly smooth. If you want it completely smooth, you'll need to use a food mill, but having some texture to it adds to the rustic nature of the roasted flavor. Pour back into the pot and reheat to a simmer. Add the parmesan cheese and cream. Stir in the chimichurri sauce until well incorporated. Serve hot in soup bowls. Drizzle some poblano creme fraiche over the soup.
Coconut Whipped Cream with Berries
Coconut whipped cream with berries (serves 2)
1/4 cup coconut cream from Trader Joe's
5 chopped fresh strawberries
10 fresh blueberries
5 fresh raspberries
5 chopped prunes
1 tsp of chia seeds
sprinkle of monk fruit sweetener or coconut sugar
Kimchi is an excellent fermented powerhouse for the gut micro biome.
• 1 (2-pound) napa cabbage
• 1/2 cup kosher salt
• About 12 cups cold water, plus more as needed
• 8 ounces daikon radish, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
• 4 medium scallions, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (use all parts)
• 1/3 cup Korean red pepper powder
Southwestern Kale Power Salad
Quinoa and kale
•1 cup quinoa
•1 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped into very small, bite-sized pieces
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•1 medium lime, juiced
•½ teaspoon salt
•2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1½ pounds), sliced into small, ¼-inch cubes
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•2 teaspoons ground cumin
•1 teaspoon smoked paprika
•1½ teaspoons salt
Green Beans & Mushrooms
Green Beans by Kenzi Wilbur
• Kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 cup beluga lentils
• 2 shallots, one chopped, one thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup tehina
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• pinch black pepper
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 4 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 1/2 cups quartered button mushrooms
• 1/4 cup canola oil or other neutral, high-heat oil